Dr. Terry Wood, DVM

Helping pets heal one cell at a time, naturally....

Mineral and Light Therapy Cases

Home Page Research Mineral and Light Therapy Cases Links FAQs About Us Contact Us

Everyday Mineral and Photonic Cases

This document changes on a daily/weekly basis - we hope to have a BLOG added soon!


I saw a neutered male, 11 y/o Chihuahua that came in with a history of coughing and possible seizure activity.  The pet has a history of neck and back injuries and severe pain.

Physical exam revealed severe upper respiratory congestion, red ears with green purulent discharge, no neck or back lesions, anisocoria, with slow direct and indirect pupillary reflexes.  Upon further questioning, the pet had been “acting funny” for the past several months.  I diagnosed allergies resulting in upper respiratory congestion, multiple small strokes (TIA’s), and otitis externa secondary to allergies.  Initial treatment consists of children’s Mucinex to thin the mucus, Heal-A-Pet Ear Care to treat the otitis externa, and Lixotinic to strengthen the blood vessels and prevent any more TIA’s.  I will be re-checking the pet in 10 days, and I expect the pet to be doing much better.  I may have to start the pet on molecular iodine and omega 3 fatty acids to help control the allergies.




I saw a 9 month old male, intact German Shepherd mix that weighed 52 lbs.  The pet had experienced worsening vomiting and diarrhea over the previous 2 days.  The pet was still bright and alert, and had a negative fecal, and I diagnosed him with parvoviral gastro-enteritis.  He had not received any vaccinations at all.  I gave him penicillin, dexamethasone, and Reglan.  To keep him hydrated, I sent home 6 ampules of Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula with instructions to administer 1 ampule twice daily and to give water small amount frequently.  The owner called me at home at 10PM that evening and said the pet was drinking and urinating a lot.  She was worried there was a problem.  She reported no vomiting or diarrhea, and my interpretation was the pet’s cells were perfectly hydrated due to the minerals, and the increased water consumption and urination were just a reflection of the dog getting rid of toxins that accumulated due to his illness.   I re-checked him the next day and he was doing great.  His gut sounds were starting to return, he had maintained his weight, and there was no more vomiting or diarrhea.  His water consumption and urination had returned to normal.  I repeated the penicillin and dexamethasone injections and sent him home with an oral antibiotic and a pro-biotic.  I expect him to make a complete recovery.



About 6 years ago, a nearby veterinarian told me he was treating an old spayed female Golden Retriever for an NSAID toxicity.  She was vomiting blood and was slightly icteric.  He was unable to stop the vomiting with medication, and he was extremely concerned she was going to die from a ruptured stomach and/or a severe gastric bleed.  I told him it was my afternoon off and I would be happy to come by and treat her with photonic therapy.  That’s what I did, and later that afternoon the vomiting and bleeding had stopped.  He was able to dismiss her the next day, and she recovered uneventfully.  Needless to say, he was very surprised at her quick recovery.




In the spring of 2007, I saw an intact male Labrador retriever for annual check-up and vaccinations.  He was about 5 ½ years old.  The owner said the pet was having multiple severe seizures.  Upon further questioning, the seizures started when the owner started feeding rawhides every day.  I believe food allergies are the cause of most seizures, so I suggested the owners feed absolutely no more rawhides and to consider a green bean-potato or venison-potato diet.  I did not hear from the client for about a year and a half.  When the pet was presented for annual check-up and vaccinations, he remarked he sure was glad I mentioned about not feeding rawhides anymore.  He saw 1 seizure the month following cessation of the rawhides, and did not and has not seen any since then.  The pet had also lost about 10 lbs and was doing quite well.  I did not have to use any photonic therapy or molecular mineral therapy to successfully resolve this case.  However, I think it dramatically illustrates the relationship between food allergies and seizures.




On August, 2, 2008, I was presented with an intact female Pug for final vaccinations.  I was told she did fine with her first vaccinations, but had a severe allergic reaction with her second set of vaccinations.  On examination, I found multiple areas of alopecia and erythema on the skin, ranging from 1 to 5 cm in diameter.  Multiple skin scrapings revealed many demedectic mites.  For treatment, I recommended a Preventic tick collar once a month for 3 months, a pro-biotic for 4 months, omega-3 fatty acids for 1 month, and Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula once a day.  I am going to re-check the pet in 30 days, and may finish the vaccinations then as I felt it was too dangerous to do them now.  I believe there are two important points to note about this case.  I think the presence of the demodex mites sensitized the immune system and a vaccination reaction was inevitable.  This illustrates the importance of reducing the antigenic burden on the pets we see.  Secondly, this case of demedectic mange should be cleared in a month or less, that is my experience.  I read in journals about veterinarians treating demodex cases for months and years.  This, I believe, is due to just focusing on killing the mites and not taking steps to augment the immune system.  This is especially important in these cases because the disease is actually caused by an inherited defect in the killer T cells. 




Another case illustrating supportive care occurred the day before.  Just before closing, I was presented with a 6 year old spayed female black Lab with a case of heat stroke.  The owner realized the pet had gotten too hot, and he had cooled her off with water from a garden hose.  However, the pet was starting to act disoriented and to have a bloody diarrhea.  On exam, the rectal temperature was still 103.4 degrees F, anisocoria with no direct or indirect pupillary reflexes, bloody diarrhea, and disorientation.  I treated the pet with penicillin and dexamethasone injections.  I sent home Cephalexin, a pro-biotic, Lixotinic, and Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula.  The antibiotics help with infection, the pro-biotics help establish good bacteria, the copper in the Lixotinic helps strengthen blood vessels in the brain and stop any leaks, and the minerals help restore optimal cellular hydration.  The dog recovered unevenfully.




I was presented with a 15 year old neutered male Poodle mix for a cough that developed after being boarded elsewhere.  The pet had an upper respiratory infection and I addressed that problem.  As a throw-away when the owner was walking out of the exam room, she said the pet has a habit of eating dirt out of a planter, and the owner wondered if that was significant.  I assured her it was, and it indicated an iron and copper deficiency.  I supplemented with Lixotinic and the pet immediately stopped eating dirt.  I also told her she was very likely helping to stave off life threatening strokes, and I told her how fortunate her pet was that she mentioned something so seemingly insignificant so we could address the problem.




The Mustang Animal Control Officer presented a puppy for evaluation that another clinic had diagnosed and treated for parvo.  The treatment consisted of antibiotic injections, and volumes of crystalloid fluids sub-Q.  On presentation, the puppy actually had ascites and pulmonary edema so severe the pet was continuously coughing up fluid and swallowing it.  The skin turgor was extremely loose due to all the fluids given.  The ACO has grasped the idea of how important molecular minerals are in the treatment of parvo.  The city doesn’t give her a budget to treat the parvo puppies, so she buys the Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula personally and saves over 90% of the sick parvo puppies at the shelter, with the minerals twice daily being their only treatment. 




I had another parvo puppy that came from the emergency clinic.  The pet had an IV catheter and had been given a liter of Normosol overnight.  The pet was urinating every 1-2 hours and had had several bouts of watery diarrhea.  The pet was “wet”, but didn’t have pulmonary edema.  I immediately pulled the IV catheter and gave the pet penicillin, dexamethasone, and Reglan injections.  I also gave it one ampule of the Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula orally.  I didn’t give any more parenteral fluids, and I dismissed the pet two days later, fully recovered.  The pet only had one more small bout of diarrhea the whole time the pet was hospitalized. 

I had a fifteen year old spayed female Schnauzer that had been presented earlier with severe allergies and symptoms of multiple small strokes.  The pet has responded very well to Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula.  The copper has plugged the leaks in the blood vessels in the brain and the pet is now acting like a puppy.  The MSM, copper, zinc, and indium have helped the skin return to normal.  It no longer smells like a dead mouse and the greasiness of the skin is gone.  One thing the owner noticed was the pet has regrown her eyebrows.  She had forgotten how long they used to be.




I had a 16 year old spayed female mixed breed dog that presented for an exam.  The owners couldn’t say what was really wrong, the pet just wasn’t acting like herself.  I diagnosed TIA’s/strokes and instituted treatment with copper.  I also suspected food allergies, so I suggested the owner cook potatoes, green beans and chicken for the pet for a 1 week trial period.  The owner couldn’t believe the change in the pet.  She is now acting like a puppy ie running and playing like she hasn’t done for 10 years.  Her appetite is now voracious-she previously just picked at her food-and her skin has cleared considerably.  That hadn’t been a complaint, the owner realized how bad it was once it cleared up.  The change had been so gradual they just hadn’t noticed it.  I will suggest food trials to determine what else the pet can safely eat, but I try to avoid the two biggest food allergens, beef and dairy.  As I have written elsewhere, I feel it is critical to identify and treat these pets as early as possible, because the next step in the progression of food allergies is the development of seizures, which is commonly diagnosed and treated as idiopathic epilepsy.




I was presented with a 12-13 year old neutered male mix breed dog for evaluation and possible euthanasia.  This was the first time I had seen this pet.  The owners were very concerned, as he was having great difficulty standing and walking, and his appetite was poor.  Physical examination revealed:  very bright and alert, wagging tail, cloudy eyes, grey muzzle, moderate periodontal disease, moderate muscle wasting, very poor patellar reflex, very slow propioceptive reflexes, anisocoria, slow direct and indirect pupillary reflexes.  He exhibited no pain in his neck or back, and he remained standing and could walk if helped up.  The owners didn’t want to euthanize him, but they were really concerned about his condition.  I diagnosed TIA’s/mini-strokes in his brain and spinal cord and sent him home with Lixotinic.  I expect a full recovery in 7 days, and I want to put him on the Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, as well as a probiotic if the owners’ finances allow.  This is a classic presentation of multiple mineral deficiencies associated with old age.




I saw a neutered male Shih Tsu/Pomeranian 5 year old dog.  In April of this year, he went to another clinic and received his annual vaccinations.  He was diagnosed with severe liver problems a few days later and given a poor prognosis and put on Denamarin.  I saw him a month after that and did one photonic therapy treatment and noted an immediate improvement.  I also put him on Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula.  I made several unsuccessful attempts to contact the owner to make sure they continued the Denamarin, and I knew they were continuing the minerals, but they had not purchased any more of the Denamarin.  Finally, in September, I saw him for a flea allergy and asked what they were giving him, as he looked great.  They said the minerals were a “miracle”, as he was doing just fine with them, and they didn’t think he needed the other medication.  I put him on Comfortis for the fleas, and advised them to continue the minerals, which they said they would do.  The minerals aren’t specifically hepato-protective, and quite frankly I was very surprised they helped this pet so much!




I saw a dog for a severe gastritis/vomiting problem that resolved with light therapy and antibiotics.  The pet is already on molecular minerals, probiotics, and a novel protein diet.  I have used light therapy to treat for prior chronic gastritis as well as a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.  This means the pet has had about 12 prior light treatments.  On the second treatment for the current gastritis problem, it was extremely remarkable how soon and how loud the pet’s gut sounds developed.  They were so obvious, the owner asked me if there was a problem, because she’d never responded like that before and the “rumbly in her tumbly” was sure loud!  I replied I was very pleased at the sounds, because that meant we were getting a very good response to treatment.  I told her I routinely heard gut sounds that loud in horses, and it was a very good sign.  What I am wondering, since this pet has had more treatments than any other I’ve done, is if there is a type of cellular memory that repeated treatments enhance.  Could it be a type of cellular Pavlovian response?  I hadn’t run in to this phenomenon before and I found it very intriguing.




I saw a 14 year old small mix breed neutered male last Saturday morning.  He was almost comatose on a blanket, and he had urinated all over himself.  He was very unresponsive and he did have significant anisocoria and non-reactive pupils.  I suggested we try some Lixotinic to see if he could respond from his stroke, and the owner called the following Wednesday and reported the pet was up and running around.  She was amazed and very thankful the pet was doing so well.  I told her he needed to stay on the Lixotinic forever, but she could reduce the dose.




I saw a 12 year old neutered male blue heeler mix and he came into the office carried in on a blanket by his owner.  He had anisocoria and was “out of it”.  He also had copious purulent nasal discharge, as well as significant weight loss.  I diagnosed a stroke and gave the option of euthanasia, or treatment with Lixotinic and hope for a miracle.  The owner chose to give him a chance, but he called and said the pet passed away a couple of hours after returning home.  This illustrates the fact we can’t save all of the pets we’re presented with, but treatment is worth a try as long as the pet is not suffering.




I saw a 7 year old spayed female Sheltie.  She is overweight and suffers a lot from seasonal allergies.  Two years ago, she had he classic signs of TIA’s i.e. “in a fog”, anisocoria, ataxia, etc.  She responded nicely to Lixotinic, and it was stressed she needed to be on the treatment forever.  She failed the iodine test, so she was on molecular iodine also.  To make treatment simpler, I put her on Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula so she could get her minerals in just one supplement and she did well on it.  However, just a couple of days ago, she presented in 100% paraparesis.  She had urinated all over herself and she had no pain, withdrawl, or patellar reflexes.  I gave her a poor prognosis and treated her with an IM dexamethasone injection and a high dose of Lixotinic orally.  The next day, the owner called and said the pet was able to stand, walk, and eliminate normally.  The following day, the pet had a seizure.  She recovered quickly and slept the rest of the day.  I asked the owner if he had been giving the Lixotinic or the Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula.  He said he had stopped giving it 1 week before the pet had the TIA in the spinal cord.  This is the most significant proof of the cause and effect of copper and TIA’s in the brain and spinal cord.


A few years ago, I was presented with a horse that had “moon blindness”/periodic ophthalmia.  The horse had significantly diminished sight, and though normally very docile, she would kick anyone approaching her due to her impaired vision.  She also had a lot of squinting, tearing, and a deep uveitis.  She was being treated with phenylbutazone for about 1 ½ years and she was now showing signs of significant stomach pain.  I treated her with red light therapy a total of 6 times, and her ophthalmic symptoms were completely clear, and she no longer kicked any one approaching her.  I was really happy I was able to resolve the problem without the use of NSAID’s, as the horse was having significant gastric problems.


The church I attend used to put on a musical over the Christmas holidays called Two From Galilee.  It is a very large production involving over 200 people, a horse, a donkey, and two camels.  The camels were wild and had never been around people before, and in less than two weeks it was necessary to get them to lead, walk into an auditorium with 2500 people with flashing lights and a full orchestra playing.  They had to walk into the sanctuary, up and down the aisles, and onto the stage where they were fed carrots by the 3 wise men.  They were basically wild animals, and as a practicing veterinarian, I was contacted to see about giving them tranquilizers.  I told them I would not do that, as the potential side effects and resulting liabilities were just too much.  I contacted Tony Johnson, Paradise Acres Llamas, Mustang, OK for his expertise in training camelids, and his expertise was immensely helpful, we would not have been able to achieve our goals without his help.  I used my “torch” to release endorphins and help calm the camels.  We were able to load the camels into a horse trailer, unload them at the church, put packs on their backs, lead them up and down the aisles and up on the stage, take carrots from the mouths of the wise men, undo their packs, load them again and return them to their paddock without incident.  I would say we didn’t have any injuries, but Tony was kicked and stepped on a couple of times, and I found out horses stepping on my feet is much more uncomfortable than a camel stepping on them!  Thankfully, no patrons were injured during any of the performances.  Additionally, one of the small camels developed an infection in his foot.  I put her on molecular iodine and selenium and treated her with the red light.  After the second light treatment, I was unable to catch her to treat her, and she was completely well by the third day.


I saw a 6 year old neutered male white lab that had a history of extremely itchy skin.  The owner had been told the pet had a “steroid deficiency”.  Seriously, the pet had been given way too much depo-medrol injections and prednisone tablets, and they didn’t relieve the symptoms.  She sought help from a holistic veterinarian and was told to give him 15 Benadryl tablets a day, as well as several baths a week using dish soap.  Needless to say, this really tore the pet’s skin up.  When I examined the pet, I saw:  caudal 1/3 of pet more seriously involved, no fleas or frass, greasy stinky skin, very inflamed ears, extreme scratching elicited by just touching the pet anywhere ie a very miserable pet.  Tincture of iodine placed on the scapha of one ear was significantly faded in 5 minutes.  I diagnosed flea allergy dermatitis and severe skin allergies.  He was eating a hypoallergenic diet of sardines and sweet potatoes, which is also rich in omega 3 fatty acids.  I put him on cephalexin capsules for 15-30 days, a probiotic, molecular iodine, and a Comfortis tablet.  The owner later called and said he slept all the way home and he didn’t itch at all.  That was the first time he wasn’t clawing at himself in several years.  He did eat his Comfortis tablet before he went home, and this proves how sensitive some pets are to the bite of just a single flea.  The owner does have a non-detergent shampoo and a great non-steroidal ear treatment if it is required, but it probably won’t be necessary.  This case is typical of what I see every day.  I am usually the second to tenth veterinarian consulted and the owner and the pet are literally at the end of their rope, yet very amenable to the proper treatment.


I had a new client that had just moved to Oklahoma from Michigan.  She had a 50 lb, 1 ½ year old, male boxer, and she wanted to make sure I could continue dispensing 0.8mg l-thyroxine tablets to treat her pet’s hypothyroidism.  I examined the pet and could immediately see by the greasy skin, alopecia, bilateral otitis externa, and generally unthrifty look that the pet was still suffering from hypothyroidism.  When I put tincture of iodine in the scapha of the pet’s ear, it disappeared in just a few minutes.  I told the owner to give a capful of molecular iodine on the pet’s food twice daily, and I wanted to see the pet in 30 days.  The owner was pretty upset with what I was telling her, as she said the previous vets told her the pet was well because the T 4 levels were normal.  I told her I believed the pet rather than a single T 4 level, and the pet was telling me he was really iodine deficient.  In 30 days, the owner came back and now she was really upset, fortunately at her previous vets and not me!  She said she didn’t realize how bad her pet was until the iodine restored his health to what it was before he was diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  She has continued the molecular iodine therapy for the last 9 years and I see the pet on a regular basis.  The pet is very healthy, and the owner is very happy.


Naughty is a 7 year old half thoroughbred, half quarter horse.  She is a barrel horse, and her previous owner had a lot of success with her, but sold her due to a move that required her to downsize her “herd”.  She had developed a lot of pain following any competition she was in.  In fact, she would kick whoever removed her saddle, and she is normally a very easy-going horse.  She would gradually get better, so the owner would ride her again, and the severe pain would return.  Naughty was seen by several veterinarians and a chiropractor, and there was no consensus for a diagnosis or treatment, and she was not getting any better.  One veterinarian did say she had cystic ovaries and he could inject the ovaries and correct that.  Out of desperation, they consulted me for red light therapy.  I treated Naughty 3 times, and I was able to significantly relieve her pain with treatment, but it would return after she ran barrels.  She definitely had a cystic left ovary, but I was upset I wasn’t getting to the root of her problem.  On her fourth visit, I asked the owner to get the saddle they were using.  I wanted him to search it for any foreign bodies, because I was suspecting something in the saddle was putting pressure on her lower back and that was causing her to have a cystic left ovary.  In addition, she had a 1 foot by 2 foot alopecic area on her lower and mid-back, and the spot on her left side was worse than the spot on her right side.  The owner was checking the saddle, and he looked at me and said he thought he had found the problem.  The saddle was very convex, and Naughty’s lumbar musculature was very convex.  It was very obvious the saddle was the problem.  I asked if his daughter was right or left-handed, and he said right-handed.  That meant she was taking 1 right and 2 left turns when she was running barrels.  All of a sudden, I felt I understood what was going on.  Naughty makes really tight turns when she runs barrels, and she really runs for home.  Her ill-fitting saddle was pounding the muscles of her mid and lower back, which included acupuncture points that affect her uterus and ovaries.  This caused her to develop a left cystic ovary, which in turn caused the muscles of the mid and lower back to be extremely painful, as well as alopecic areas on her mid and lower back that were worse on the left side.  My mentor always told me the horse would tell me what was wrong, I just had to be smart enough to understand.  The owners had also tried an extra thick saddle pad, which only was making it worse.  The owners got a saddle that fit, and Naughty went on to compete at a higher level than she ever had, and the owners were very pleased.  I also recommended they keep her on Lixotinic and MSM.  Naughty is a little klutzy, and I had to treat her a couple of times for falls she had taken at home, and then this fall, she was exhibiting symptoms like she had before.  The chiropractor saw her and said she had a rib head out on her left side, and she was exhibiting pain from her withers to her mid-back.  Her rear hooves had also grown out and were causing her to have pain in her hocks.  Also, the owners realized Naughty had added significantly to her musculature, and her saddle didn’t fit anymore.  It was pinching her in her withers.  On the good side of the ledger, she now has a beautiful skin and hair coat.  People at her competitions complement her all the time and ask what supplements she is taking (lixotinic and MSM).  I treated her again, and the owners got a Martin saddle that fit her very well.  I rechecked her the day before a weekend competition, and I said I thought she was ready to go.  The owners called me after the com petition and said she ran really well, and didn’t show any pain until after the last race, and then it was just a little bit.  They had also had their farrier trim her rear feet so the toes weren’t so long, and her hocks were just fine.  Naughty has been a very challenging case, but she responded well to treatment, and it is proof the horse is always trying to tell us what is going on, we just have to be smart enough to figure it out. 




Pax, a spayed female 9 month old Yorkshire Terrier,   She came to me with a diagnosis of avascular necrosis of the right femoral head and neck.  Not so surprisingly, she had just finished a round of high dose steroid therapy.  The owners were being told they needed to have a right femoral head ostectomy if the pet was going to have any chance of being normal.  The owners were not comfortable with this recommendation, and they came to me hoping I would be able to offer a non-surgical solution.  At this point, the pet was not weight bearing on the right rear leg, and it just was not exhibiting normal behavior.  I recommended the owners start her on Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, and then I would start red light therapy on a twice weekly basis for a total of 8 treatments.  The pet started bearing weight right away, and by the eighth treatment, Pax was running, jumping, eating, and playing better than she ever had.  She would run around on her right rear leg, and it might be sore the next day, but the pet’s behavior and actions had returned to normal.  The owners requested to continue the treatments, so she’s had a total of 10 by now.  The owners are very pleased.  Pax is doing very well, and we are now 6 weeks out following the recommendation of immediate surgery.  I expect her to continue to do well, and I do not think a FHO will be necessary.  The minerals should be continued, and of course we can do more light treatments if necessary.  There are two principles I think stand out in this case.  Western thought says function follows form and Eastern thought says form follows function.  In this case, I think East wins this battle.  The second principle I believe that is illustrated is the memory of one light treatment to the next.  Pax is pretty hyper and the first few treatments, she would be very wiggly throughout the treatment.  By the sixth treatment however, she would just plop down on her belly and be very still for the rest of the treatment.  She has this in common with Naughty, the horse in the previous case.  Naughty would rather stay in her trailer and eat, and even though she is a very compliant horse, sometimes she doesn’t want to get out of her trailer.  However, when she’s at my clinic, she willingly hops out of the trailer and she quickly walks over to where I treat her and waits for me.  She even starts lowering her head and licking her lips, which is a sign of endorphin release.  The amazing thing is she starts doing that before I have even done the diagnostic points, let alone the therapeutic points.




Molly is a spayed female, 8 year old Lab-Corgi mix.  She was referred to me by the owner of a local health food store.  The owner was really tired of giving her pet drugs that were only partially symptomatic.  She was on metronidazole, metoclopropamid, and cimetadine for chronic vomiting.  She continued to vomit with this protocol.  On exam, she had anisocoria, photophobia, history of eating dirt, dull flaky itchy skin, foot chewing, bottom scooting, tender cranial abdomen, and severe pain at BL 20 and BL 21.  She failed her aural iodine test in five minutes.  I diagnosed multiple TIA’s, severe copper deficiency, and an upset stomach.  I immediately started red light therapy, Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, and a pro-biotic.  I had her stop giving all the medicine she came in with.  In just one day, she felt significantly better.  However, she still had occasional bouts of vomiting, so I recommended a novel protein diet (Royal Canin’s venison and potato), and this resulted in significantly decreased vomiting episodes.  About a year later, she came in with a significant limp on her left rear leg.  On exam, she had completely torn her left ACL.  The owner declined referral to a board certified surgeon, and because of the earlier success of the red light therapy, asked if I would do that.  Of course I agreed, as I have had earlier success using molecular minerals and red light therapy.   I was able to achieve a stable pain free knee with 7 treatments done over a 2 month period.  About a year later, her episodes of vomiting had returned with a vengeance and she started losing a significant amount of weight.  That, along with the fact she could easily have been 6 or more years older than the owner thought, led me to a diagnosis of a GI tumor.  Finances precluded referral diagnostics and/or surgery, so the owner did have the pet euthanized.  I think it is possible the tumor was already growing when I first saw the pet.  The owner was very happy with her treatment, as she wanted a more natural approach to her pet’s care.




It is very hard for many veterinarians to believe I can successfully treat an injury as serious as an ACL rupture using red light therapy.  I base this on my mentor’s experience.  Dr. Brian McLaren was a large animal vet in Australia that had a five state size ambulatory practice.  He noticed he was having a lot of pain in his right knee, and this was particularly troublesome as he had to push off on that knee when getting into his truck, and he had to land on it when he exited his truck.  He sought a physician’s advice, and was told he had ruptured his ACL and he needed surgery, which would mean he couldn’t work for 4 months.  He had a large practice, a wife, and two young children, so that was not an option.  He sought the care of a Chinese acupuncturist in a nearby town, and said he had 6 needle acupuncture treatments, and that was the only treatment he received.  His knee healed well, and he has not ever had surgery on it, and that was about 35 years ago.  I figured if that would work on a human being, I had a better than even chance of it working on my canine patients.  I do supplement with MSM or Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, but I have had very good success with this protocol.




Cody is a 4 year old neutered male Bichon Frise.  I was the fifth veterinarian to see Cody for the complaints of not jumping and crying when touched.  He also has very red itchy skin and he licks constantly and pulls his hair out.  The owner just wants some answers.  He weighed 29.6# and had classic lesions of flea allergy dermatitis, atopy, and significant right anterior drawer movement.  He failed his aural iodine test in just a few hours  I put him on pro-biotics, omega 3 fatty acids, Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, and novel protein/no grain diet, and Allergroom shampoo.  There is a lot of MSM in the mineral formula so I didn’t send any pain relievers home and suggested they restrict his activity for 6-8 weeks.  I re-checked Cody in 6 weeks and he is doing very well.  He still doesn’t want to jump up on furniture, but the right knee is very tight and there is no more anterior drawer movement.  The owner and I are very pleased with Cody’s progress.




I had a client bring in an approximately 14 week old intact male black Lab puppy she found on the side of the road.  The puppy was about “eaten up” with demodectic mange.  Most of her skin was infected, she had huge open sores, and most of her hair was scratched off.  In a word, she was a mess.  The owner wanted to help the puppy, but she wanted to keep the cost down since it was a stray.  I put the pet on 5000mg of granular MSM on the food once a day, and put on a Preventic collar.  Unbelieveably, in just two weeks, her coat was almost back to normal.  This is the case that helped me to understand I had to help bolster the pet’s immune system when I was treating demodectic mange, and not just worry about killing the mites.  Now, I routinely use cephalexin to kill secondary Staph infections, Bac-Pac + to restore good bacteria, Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula to boost the immune system, omega 3 fatty acids to decrease inflammation and restore luster and shine to the skin and hair coat, and Allergroom (a non-detergent shampoo) to bathe the pet.  I have been able to quickly cure every case of demodex I have been presented with using this protocol.  Again, the principle is:  it is important to understand the chemicals that kill the mites are good to knock back the high numbers of mites, but true healing can only occur if we boost the immune system.  In that way, the pet will return to good health and never be bothered by the mite again.




Daisy is a 3 year old intact female beagle.  Other than having parvo when she was a puppy, she was pretty healthy until April 2007.  She had itchy, allergic skin and ears, and very conservative treatment with antihistamines was started.  By January, 2008, the owner reported several months of seizures and severely allergic skin problems.  At that time, she was started on molecular iodine and Royal Canin potato/venison diet.  Her skin cleared and the seizures stopped.  In December 2008, the owner came in to buy more potato/venison diet.  The owner said they had run out and after 1 ½ days on a regular commercial diet, Daisy had 1 seizure and her skin started getting very red and itchy.  Needless to say, the owner now understands the magnitude of how destructive food allergies are, with the ability to cause severe allergic dermatitis as well as seizures commonly misdiagnosed as epilepsy.  This case is representative of hundreds of pets I treat for food allergies.  I am appalled how many pets have 1 seizure, are diagnosed with epilepsy, and placed on Phenobarbital and or potassium bromide for life.  A lifetime of these drugs can cause severe liver damage, and many times the pets become refractory to treatment.  It is so important to treat the underlying cause of the seizures and allergies, instead of treating the pets with dangerous drugs. 




Bailey is an 8 year old mix breed spayed female dog.  In November 2008, she came in for severe vomiting.  I treated her with Reglan injections and Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula.  She responded well, only to re-present two days later with worsening symptoms which now included diarrhea.  It turned out she had been dining on a dead bird in the back yard, so now I added cephalexin and Bac-Pac + (a probiotic).  She responded well for a couple of weeks, and then she developed a bloody, mucoid diarrhea.  On fecal exam, many Giardia trophozoites were visible.  Metronidazole treatment was initiated.  I thought this was a very unusual turn of events, but it was obvious the bird wasn’t done tormenting Bailey, as she got Giardia from consuming the bird’s entrails and stool.  Hopefully she won’t eat any more birds! 




I had a 4 year old intact male Doberman-Baron come in for a skin/allergy consultation.  He had been to several other veterinarians, and according to the owners he has received “tons” of antibiotics, steroids, and medicated baths.  He didn’t respond to any of the treatments, and the owners were extremely upset because he spent most of his time digging furrows in his flanks and chewing his legs and feet.  On exam, he had “elephant skin” all over his flanks and belly.  It was very rough and furrowed, greasy, and stinky.  The owner was already cooking for the pet, so no commercial foods were being fed.  He also reacted badly to beef (beef and dairy are the two most canine allergic foods).  I had them give him raw carrots for treats, and to stop giving rawhides and pig’s ears.  He and the owners were reluctant to make the change, but just a few weeks later he lost his craving for the junk food and now loves to eat his carrots.  I put him on Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, Bac-Pac +, omega 3 fatty acids, Comfortis, a metal food bowl, a room air purifier, artificial tears, and cephalexin capsules when his skin was especially bad.  He improved some and then he regressed some.  I was very frustrated, as the owners were extremely compliant and were doing everything I was asking, yet he was still extremely pruritic.  Out of desperation, I did a skin scraping and found several sarcoptic mange mites, as well as many, many eggs.  I knew it couldn’t be fleas, as he was on Comfortis, a hypoallergenic diet, and all the right supplements, yet there was definitely a trigger that was causing the extreme allergic symptoms.  I treated him twice, about 10 days apart, with oral ivermectin.  The results were stunning.  His haircoat became sleek and shiny, he developed much more muscle tone and definition, he urinated more than normal (toxin elimination?), his rough skin became smooth and supple with no greasy feel and nasty smell, and he has started to re-grow hair on his muzzle.  The swelling has also gone away.  For the last several years, his nose (planum nasale) was black, hairless, and very swollen.  That made me think he had had scabies since he was a puppy, and the severe allergic dermatitis he had was from an untreated case of scabies.  All the steroids he was given encouraged a severe secondary Staph dermatitis (steroids are fertilizer for bad bacteria and yeast) and an almost auto-immune allergic skin.  The owners are very pleased, as this is the best he has looked and acted for years. 




Lucas is an intact 5 year old male Chihuahua.  The owner just brings him in for an annual rabies vaccination and to have his nails done.  One month ago, the owner said he was falling down, without provocation, several times a day.  No real problems were noted on exam, but I tentatively diagnosed TIA’s and put him on Lixotinic.  The owner did not give it as recommended, and 5 weeks later, the owner came in and said there were more episodes of  “acting weird”, and now he was eating dirt.  I tried to make the owner understand the pet’s body was begging for the minerals now.  The acting weird and the dirt eating were classic signs of iron and copper deficiencies, and we needed to give a significant dose twice daily for 2 weeks.  After that, we probably could reduce the amount given to a once daily dose.  This has been a really challenging case, as the only thing the owner is really interested in is getting his nails trimmed, and we find out the problems the pet is having as an aside when she is leaving.  I’m hopeful of good success, however.




I had a client come in to the office and she told me how I had helped her pet with seizures.  I had told her it was a food allergy and I gave her directions for several possibilities on how we could help her pet.  She said she really thought I was crazy, her words, but she did what I suggested and the seizures immediately stopped.  She also said she has referred several people to me, and someone was coming in the following Saturday.  I think she wanted to say I was still a little off, but what I diagnosed and suggested worked!  I told her I wasn’t surprised, I have treated hundreds of cases like that with the same success.  She told me her son gave the dog 1 Cheetos and he had a couple of seizures.  She said she really fussed at her son for doing it.  I said I was glad it happened, as that would really help to cement in the idea how critical the dog’s food intake is. 




Bella is a 5 year old intact female Dachshund.  On Christmas Eve, she presented with a “sore back”.  She was walking, slowly, but she wasn’t jumping up or down.  The owners gave her a baby aspirin as a pain reliever.  I treated her with dexamethasone IM and Tramadol, with instructions to restrict activity for 3 weeks, elevate food and water, and to soften the food.  Three days later, the pet was presented because the left rear leg “won’t work right”.  At this time, the thoraco-lumbar muscle spasms were about the same, but there was a significant loss of proprioception and patellar reflex on the left rear, and a moderate loss on the right rear.  She could stand, but she couldn’t walk well, and she was having trouble eating, urinating, and defecating.  I put her on Lixotinic, in case there had been a bleed in her spinal cord, and the copper in it will literally plug leaks in the blood vessels by restoring elasticity to the blood vessels.  She could take Tramadol, as necessary, for her pain.  I started red light treatment/photonic therapy.  Two days later, I did a second light treatment.  She was already standing better, but still had neurological deficits in her left rear leg.  The owner had stopped giving the Tramadol, because they thought it made her too groggy, even at a low dose.  That was fine with me.  Four days later, I did the third light treatment, and the owners said when they returned home from work, she “flew” off the couch and ran for about 25 yards, then she pulled up and stopped running.  She was much better, and was obviously feeling much better.  The T-L muscle spasms are just about gone, she really relaxed with the treatment, and I was very happy with her progress.  Still no more Tramadol, but the Lixotinic is still being given.  Today, three days later, I did the fourth light treatment.  The owners report she is acting completely normal at home, she just has a little weakness on her left rear leg.  I am very pleased with her progress.  She is responding extremely well to treatment.  I plan on doing 1 more treatment for sure, and no more may be necessary.  The owner works with fiber optic cables, so he is familiar with electromagnetic energy.  He said after the first 3 treatments, the biggest improvement occurred the day after Bella was treated.  I told him the 660 nm light is supposed to interact with collagen up to 72 hours post treatment, I just had to take that on faith from the physicists, but I told him that was within the established parameters of red light therapy.  I don’t remember anyone else ever saying anything about that.  I’m sure it’s probably happened, but possibly the owners just didn’t take note.  I will update after the next treatment. Bella is progressing nicely after her fourth treatment.  She is walking normally, except her back end kind of gets away from her and goes from side to side.  The owners compared it to a long fire truck that was missing the rear driver.  The owners are really pleased, and Bella is getting along very well.




Max is a 7 year old, intact male Chihuahua.  After having just a few seizures, the veterinarian that was seeing him suggested extensive blood work, followed up by phenobarbital and possibly potassium bromide.  The owner wasn’t ready to start down that treatment road, so she brought the pet to me for a second opinion.  There were several signs of skin allergies i.e. full anal glands and red itchy skin.  I told the owner seizures were indicative of food allergies and outlined the principles of a food trial, as well as suggesting a commercial venison/potato diet.  The owner recalled the seizures always followed the consumption of prepared sandwich meats.  I told the owner it was very possibly the pet would be fine if they just avoided the prepared lunch meat, but she knows what to do if that doesn’t take care of it.  I think this is a significant case of finding the cause and eliminating it, rather than taking a path that just eliminates symptoms with very dangerous and damaging drugs. 




Max is a 3 year old intact male mix breed dog.  He was being seen by another veterinarian and was tentatively diagnosed with pancreatitis.  The owner was told many more tests would need to be run, but the owner was considering euthanasia because they were on a limited budget.  On exam, Max’s skin and coat looked terrible.  His nose was raw and depigmented, the haircoat was washed out, and his skin was red and very itchy.  There was no evidence of a flea allergy.  I diagnosed him with a severe case of allergies, starting with the allergy he had to his plastic food dish and continuing with his skin and haircoat problems.   I think the GI upset is simply a food allergy, and untreated I believe this pet would soon develop seizures.  I plan on treating him with the principles in my article, “Dr. Wood’s Allergy Strategies”, and I anticipate a full recovery.  Another problem occurred with his treatment.  When the owner refused hospitalization for the “pancreatitis”, the pet was forcibly held down and a full liter of crystalloid fluid was given.  The owner said the pet acted really “funny” for the next 24 hours.  I feel this is an inappropriate use of IV crystalloid fluids and a mild case of cerebral edema was the result.




Cecil is a neutered male, 16 year old DSH cat.  About 10 days before I saw him, Cecil was sleeping on his owner’s bed when he awoke with a start, screamed, and ran off the bed which caused him to fall to the floor.  He was taken to another veterinarian where it was determined he was blind and one of his eyes had a large blood clot in the anterior chamber.  He was referred to a specialist and was treated with two kinds of eye drops.  I examined him and my conclusion was he had suffered a stroke.  That would explain why he jumped off the bed and screamed in pain.  This is consistent with what humans experience with some strokes/ruptured aneurysms.  I really felt the bleed and clot in the anterior chamber was a big clue there was bleeding on a fairly large scale within the brain.  That is what the owner figured and that is why she sought my advice and treatment.  “If it’s bleeding in his eye that bad, it’s probably bleeding in his brain, too, isn’t it?”  I agreed with her and put him on a large dose of Lixotinic, and I’m expecting him to show significant improvement in about 5 days.  Because of the delay in receiving proper treatment, he may not recover his sight.




Eddie was a 8 year old neutered male Great Dane.  He had “gone down” in his rear end and he was seen by another veterinary clinic and they said he couldn’t be helped, he was suffering, and euthanasia was the only option.  The owner brought him to me for a second opinion and I put him on VAL Syrup and Lixotinic Syrup.  Within 3 weeks, he was able to walk normally and the owner had another good year with him.  She was very grateful I gave an alternative to euthanasia, and that she was given another year with him.  I thought he had had a “stroke” in his spinal cord and I thought he would respond very favorably with a bio-available source of copper, thus plugging the leaks in his spinal cord blood vessels, and counting on the body’s ability to re-route the spinal cord functions to undamaged circuits/spinal tracts.  Fortunately, that is what had happened, and he responded very favorably to treatment.




A veterinarian friend of mine had a 7 year old spayed female Dachshund that had gone down in her back.  The owner had gone to a board certified veterinary surgeon and had a hemi-laminectomy performed.  Initially, she responded very well and was up walking.  However, within a couple of weeks, she had gone down again.  The owner was distressed because the options she was given were a thousand dollar MRI, and then another fifteen hundred dollar surgery.  I told my friend, even though the surgery was a couple of months ago, I’d like to take a look at her.  When I first saw her, she was in pretty bad shape.  She cried out in pain if she was even touched, and her back end was “dead”.  I treated her with the torch and had her put on Lixotinic twice daily.  I saw her a week later and she looked a lot better.  She could tentatively stand on her rear legs, and when held up, she bicycled both rear legs.  She was not screaming in pain when she was picked up and moved.  I called about 4 days later, and she is trying to walk on her own.  I’m recommending continuing the Lixotinic, and I will do a third photonic treatment this Friday or Saturday.  My friend and the dog’s owner are really happy with the pet’s progress, and they want to continue the mineral and the light therapy.  In this case, I feel there has been multiple strokes in the spinal cord, as well as a significant energy blockage due to the surgical scar.  Fortunately, we don’t have to settle for chronic pain and paraparesis.  After 6 treatments, at one treatment per week, she is standing on her front legs and using them normally.  She is able to stand on her rear legs, and she is moving them well and trying to walk.  I am extremely pleased with her progress.


Cocoa is an intact male, 10 year old chocolate lab that weighs 82.2#.  He presented today and the owner had difficulty describing his symptoms.  He said he just wasn’t acting right, but he couldn’t really give any one complaint.  Of course, the pet was acting normal by the time he got to the office this morning.  On further questioning, he said there had been an identical incident just a few days before.  He was very concerned and was going to bring the pet in, but by the time he was going to call the office, the pet was acting completely normal.  On physical exam, the relevant findings were anisocoria, the right pupil was about 6mm and unreactive, and the left pupil was about 3mm and unreactive.  He was photophobic and started whining when I shined a bright light into his eyes and there were no direct or indirect pupillary reflexes.  That, along with the classic history, led me to diagnose TIA’s (multiple small strokes).  I put him on Lixotinic and am expecting a complete recovery, and no more TIA’s.  He will need to stay on a mineral supplement the rest of his life, but he will require smaller amounts for maintenance.  I told the owner I felt for him trying to describe what his pet was acting like, and I made him work and sweat out the explanation.  However, I told him his description was within a few words of other similar cases!


Tucker is a 4 year old neutered male Dachshund.  He presented with a 2 day history of vomiting, which was much different from an earlier incident of “vomiting” that was just a whole bunch of mucus from an allergy attack.  Physical exam was pretty unremarkable, except for slightly decreased gut sounds, and a slight to moderate epaxial muscle pain over BL 21 (the associated effect point for the stomach).  I diagnosed the pet with an upset stomach secondary to a bulging IV disc at BL 21.  I treated the pet with an intramuscular injection of dexamethasone—I try not to use steroids, but this dose is completely out of the dog’s body in 24 hours and it results in 2 weeks of no inflammatory cells degranulating—and an injection of Reglan.  The owner called back in 2 hours and said the pet was completely normal.  The response to treatment was a confirmation of my diagnosis, and I don’t anticipate any more problems.  I’m having the owner restrict the pet’s activity for 3 weeks and elevate the food and water.  His recovery should be uneventful.  This case illustrates, once again, the connection between specific points on the skin and various internal organs.


Daisy is a 3 year old intact female English Sheepdog that weighs 49.7#.  Her owner called crying because the last two times Daisy was groomed, she was very lethargic, ataxic, and just not herself for several hours following the groom.  Her core temperature was 99.6 degrees F and her heart rate was about 60 bpm.  She was very calm and the owner said she normally would have been trying to jump off the table and barking her head off.  She yawned during the exam and her third eyelid was partially protruded.  The owner had not given consent for tranquilization, but it had obviously been given.  I treated the standard points and the “wake-up” points and the pet immediately became more awake and aware of her situation.  She was much more animated when she walked out of the clinic.  I called the owner about an hour later and she had eaten and had a big drink of water and was feeling her old self.  I was really pleased by the response to the light therapy.


Cozmo is a 4 year old neutered male Shih Tzu.  He presented initially because he was walking funny and wasn’t acting right.  His neck was very sore and he was walking, but had a hard time keeping his rear legs tracking correctly.  I diagnosed him with cervical intervertebral disc disease with possible TIA’s of the cervical spinal cord.  I treated him with an IM injection of dexamethasone, oral Lixotinic, and Tramadol, with instructions to keep his activity restricted for 3 weeks.  The next day, his rear legs were paralyzed and he had not control of his bladder.  He still had pain and withdrawl of both rear feet.  I started photonic therapy and recommended every other day treatment with the light.  I also showed the owners how to use a towel to “wheel-barrow walk” him.  This helps him to eliminate his bowels and bladder, as well as getting some circulation into the paralyzed limbs.  Ten days later, I performed the fifth light treatment, and he is much improved.  He is able to stand and walk on my slippery tile floor, even if his rear end travels from side to side as he walks.  His owner says he has regained all his good habits and mannerisms, which he had lost initially.  The owner and I are very pleased with his progress!



Bear is an intact male 6 year old chocolate lab.  He weighs 100.5# and the owners said he has been limping on his right rear leg for several days.  He has significant anterior drawer movement in his right knee.  The owners refused surgical referral, so I recommend a 10-15# weight loss and Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, 1 capful on the food twice daily.  I’m telling the owners to restrict his activity for 6-8 weeks, and I expect a full recovery.




Duke is a 13 year old neutered male Schnauzer.  He presented with significant problems.  He couldn’t walk on his rear legs, his head was turned all the way to the left, he had a left head tilt, and he was extremely sensitive to light.  I diagnosed diffuse central nervous system TIA’s and started him on Lixotinic.  One week later, he had not improved at all.  That is when I treated him with photonic therapy.  The owner was seriously contemplating euthanasia.  Three days later the owner called and called his recovery “remarkable”.  He was now barking, eating, playing, and barking.  Needless to say, the owner was very pleased. 



Copper is a spayed female 9 year old Beagle.  As she is aging, she is having significant weight gain and lethargy.  This was affecting her ability to walk around the house and go up and down stairs.  She failed her iodine test, so I put her on molecular iodine.  Due to family dynamics, she only was receiving her iodine sporadically.  The owner has noted a significant increase in lethargy and weight when off the iodine just a few days.  Her brightness and activity picks up when she gets back on the iodine and her weight goes down.  This was an unsolicited observation, the owner couldn’t wait to tell me about it when they brought Copper in for another problem.  They were amazed by the powerful effects of the molecular iodine.



Autumn Rose is a 7 year old spayed female Golden Retriever.  I diagnosed her with TIA’s on 9-21-09.  She had anisocoria, unreactive pupils, and hypersensitivity to light and movement.  I started her on Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula.  Two days later, the owner called and said she was significantly worse.  She was not eating or drinking, vomiting, and jerking when anyone came close to and/or touched her.  She was also extremely sensitive to noise and would jerk significantly at any noise.  The owners were afraid euthanasia was the only option.  However, I did one photonic therapy treatment and told the owners I may have to do as many as 8 treatments.  In two days, the owner called and said the pet was so much better she was back to normal.  It doesn’t appear I will even have to do any more photonic therapy treatments.  This case illustrates the success I’ve had by first getting the molecular minerals into the pet and then instituting photonic therapy.  The minerals seem to restore the correct chemical and electrical potentials/gradients within the cells which means the photonic therapy is very effective.




Jose is an intact male 7 year old Heeler-Border Collie mix.  He first came to see me 3-11-08.  He was having so many difficulties with his ears that the owner was considering euthanasia.  He had been treated with steroids topically and systemically.  His ears were so sensitive, I had to anesthesize him just to look at his ears.  As is so common with these cases, he had an extremely severe Staph otitis externa.  He also had significant lesions of flea allergy dermatitis.  I treated him with cephalexin, pro-biotics, Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, Heal A Pet Ear Care, and Comfortis.  He responded extremely well to the treatment.  The owner continued the minerals and the Comfortis and he didn’t have another problem until 10-16-09.  He was extremely pruritic and due to all the breaks I’d been having this wet fall/extreme ragweed season, I gave him a Depo-Medrol injection and asked her to call in a couple of days.  If needed, I will do more cephalexin.  The owner made a point of saying how much she appreciated my treatment of Jose.  She said she was really close to euthanizing him and she was really disgusted with the prior treatment he had received.  Cases like this really help me realize how important these concepts are. 




Maxi is a neutered 6 year old mix breed dog.  He presented 11-27-09 for “problems walking on his rear legs that has been on-going for a few days.”  He weighed 76.8#, was very overweight, and was about 25% weight-bearing on his left rear leg.  He has a significant limp and significant anterior drawer movement.  The owner refused referral to a surgeon, so I put him on Tramadol for pain relief and MSM crystals, 1 tsp per day on a food treat.  I told them to restrict his activity for 6-8 weeks and to call and report weekly.




Princess is a spayed female 3 year old toy poodle.  I spayed her 11-13-09 because she had an extremely long heat cycle suggestive of cystic ovaries and the owner had had a diaper on her for several weeks to soak up the blood and she had developed significant hair loss on the caudal third of her body.  She was on a good flea treatment, so that wasn’t the cause.  10 days after the spay sutures were removed, there was no hair growth from the surgery and there was more alopecia on the rear end, so I checked her iodine levels with tincture of iodine placed on the scapha on the ear.  The owner called 15 minutes after the iodine was placed in the ear-when she got home-and it was already completely gone.  The owner came back to the clinic and bought Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, omega 3 fatty acids, and a pro-biotic as well as a grain free/novel protein diet.  I will be very anxious to see how she responds!




Angel is a 3 year old intact female long haired Chihuahua.  She weighs 3.1#.  Her owner accidently stepped on her and heard a loud snap.  She is a nurse and was sure she had broken a bone.  However, the pet was limping but still weight bearing on the affected rear leg.  I examined the pet the next day and the only lesion I found was significant anterior drawer movement in the left knee.  I diagnosed an ACL tear and recommended a conservative course of treatment consisting of 6-8 weeks of restricted activity and oral molecular sulfur, to help repair the torn ACL.  One week after the injury, Angel is already walking and running on it and I anticipate an uncomplicated recovery.  I will check her at 4 and 8 weeks post injury. 




Monica is an eight year old spayed female Greyhound Mix.  She was brought in because she is having trouble standing and walking, and she is just not acting herself.  While waiting to be seen, she urinated uncontrollably.  She weighed 59.1# and her temperature was 101.9 degrees F.  Her left eye is significantly more dilated than her right and she is photophobic.  She is panting, acting “out of it”/disoriented, and is ataxic.  Upon questioning, the owner said 6 baby aspirins were given to relieve some hip pain.  Upon further questioning, the owner said some similar, more mild, symptoms were noted a few days before.  She said she has given this dose to other Greyhounds without any problems.  I diagnosed TIA’s/strokes induced by the NSAID baby aspirin.  It well and truly interfered with the COX-1 pathway and a brain bleed was the result.  I sent home Lixotinic to plug the leaks and will do photonic therapy if the symptoms don’t resolve in a few days.



I have started sending Tramadol tablets home as a pain reliever, because my clients were having a hard time believing photonic light therapy (PLT) utilized pre and post-op was capable of controlling post-op surgical pain, even though I have found it extremely effective.  In fact, I received a call from an out-of-state vet that had just purchased a “torch” and I was telling him how good his incisions were going to look when he removed sutures 10 days post-op.  He related to me he had to wait 15-20 days to remove sutures because his incisions were “falling apart” when he was removing sutures 10 days post-op.  I asked if he was using the standard post-op pain package of an NSAID and Tramadol, and he said he was.  I told him I had great success with just PLT and just recently started sending home Tramadol tablets because my clients were used to receiving pain pills after they had surgery.  I refuse to use NSAID’s post-op because of their negative effect on the COX 1 pathway.  Specifically, they diminish platelet’s activity to clot and the ability of fibroblasts to adhere to one another.  I’m also concerned with the negative effects on the liver, kidneys, and GI tract.

A week ago I neutered a small dog for a client and used PLT as well as sending Tramadol home as a pain reliever.  Today, I spayed a small female dog for the same client, and taped to the pet’s record was the unused bottle of Tramadol tablets as well as the following note:


     “Dr. Wood,


     Can you re-prescribe this medication for _____  (if needed)?


     ____  had no sign of pain following his procedure.

     Actually, I could have used a tranquilizer to keep him calm.


     Thank you,


     _____ _______


I thought it was pretty funny!  It also reinforces the efficacy of PLT to control post-op pain. 




Maggie May is a 3 year old spayed female Shih Tzu.  One month ago she fell off her couch and screamed.  There were no neurological symptoms, she just had a sore neck.  I diagnosed cervical IVDD and recommended restricted activity for 3 weeks and Tramadol for pain relief, if needed.  I also put her on Lixotinic in case it was a TIA/small blood vessel leak that had caused the problem.  I do this on all my IVDD cases.  One month later the owner said the pet was not yet acting like herself and she was concerned “her back was out”.  I re-checked the pet and discovered there was still some cervical epaxial muscle pain and spasms.  I suggested the owner continue the Lixotinic and did a PLT treatment.  Two days later I did a second treatment and the owner said Maggie was back to normal.  She was playing like nothing had happened and the owner was very pleased.  I asked to owner to call us in 3-4 days and let us know how she is doing.  Even though 8 treatments is considered a normal course of therapy, no more treatments may be necessary.




Chasey is an intact male 2 year old Maltese that is in good health.  He was presented for a routine neuter.  Anesthesia was administered without incident and I did photonic therapy after he went to sleep.  Then I intubated him and took him to the surgical prep area to shave him prior to surgery.  At that time, he quit breathing, his heart stopped, his tongue and gums were white, and he started taking his agonal breaths.  I used the “torch” to treat his wake up points, GV 20 and GV 26, and started running a liter bag of Lactated Ringer’s Solution, followed by dexamethasone IV.  That was enough to get everything going again.  After he stabilized, I did the surgery because I hope to never anesthesize him again!  He recovered from the anesthesia and surgery uneventfully and went home that afternoon. 

Three days later his scrotum was red, hot, itchy, and swollen.  I put him on antibiotics, probiotics, and a soft E-collar.  This is an extremely uncommon sequella post-op in my practice.  However, it wasn’t too surprising considering the severity of the anesthetic reaction.




I have identified several allergy triggers.  Flea bites are extremely strong triggers and an allergic problem will not be under control until the flea bites are under control.  Environmental pollutants and pollens are also significant triggers.  A simple room air purifier may be all that is needed.  Contact with grass can be a big problem.  Foot chewing after being outside suggests a contact allergy.  I’ve also seen pets that did fine out on the grass until they had their belly hair cut short and they came in extremely read and pruritic after going outside on the grass.  Today, I had a client that last year had a big flea problem that we got under control, but her dogs had chronic ear problems that didn’t respond to our normally very effective treatment regimen.  The owner moved to a house that had tile flooring instead of carpets and now her dogs’ ears are giving her no problems at all.  Food triggers are also a huge problem.  Approximately 70% of the body’s immune system is in the gut.  This means a pet eating a diet (beef, dairy, corn, wheat, and soy especially) is having their immune system triggered to an extreme level.  Even if the pet is not exhibiting signs of allergies, the immune system is potentiated so even a small exposure to additional allergens will trigger an extreme allergic episode.  I have seen many pets that had chronic ear problems that did not respond to treatment that are clearing with a novel protein/grain free diet. 




 I saw a 9 year old intact male Boston Terrier for itchy skin.  The adult female owner noted the dog’s hair coat felt “bristly” and made her itch and develop multiple red pruritic papules on her skin where ever she touched her dog’s coat.  The dog had classic flea allergy dermatitis lesions on the caudal 1/3 of his body as well as atopic foot chewing that started two weeks ago.  I did give him a Depo-Medrol injection, Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, and a Comfortis tablet.  I will only give two injections per year, but they can be a very useful tool.  I expect the pet to be sympton free in one day, and the owner should be able to touch him without developing red itchy spots.  I have had two of my employees exhibit these lesions when handling certain pets.  It is remarkable how quickly these lesions develop and how quickly they respond to proper treatment.




I saw an intact male 8 ½ year old collie that weighed 59.2#.  The owners were out of state on vacation and had a neighbor watching him while they were gone.  He was being groomed about a week ago and the groomer noticed maggots on his rear end so he was treated by a vet next door.  He was given antibiotics, but the skin on his escutcheon was red, hot, itchy, and indurated.  The owner wasn’t happy with his treatment.  On exam, he was freshly shaved but had symptoms of extreme flea allergy dermatitis.  So, I put him on 15 days of cephalexin, Bac Pac +, and Comfortis.  This is a case where traditional antibiotic therapy was not sufficient was not successful because a severe flea allergy was not treated.  Again, flea bites are an extreme trigger and if the fleas are not treated, any therapy employed will not be successful.  The reason I like the Comfortis so well is I know the flea will die after biting the dog only one time, thus treating the flea allergy.




It is July 10, 2010 and I have noticed the spring allergy season started about 3 weeks ago.  I have had many, many patients have their seasonal atopic allergies flare significantly.  Because of all the rain, there are a lot of fleas and so we’re having some overlap of atopic and flea allergies.  A couple of observations I’ve noted are many people don’t believe their pet has fleas because they haven’t seen any, even though the caudal third of the pet’s body is red, itchy, and alopecic.  This can only be a flea allergy.  Only 15% of cats and 50% of dogs will have visible fleas/frass on them.  Three of the four life stages of the flea are blood suckers and they spend 24 hours on the pet and bite an average of 100 times.  By injecting a foreign protein intradermally, it is an extreme allergy trigger.  That is why I prefer Comfortis for flea treatment.  The flea bites the dog one time and then dies.  Also, there is no chemical toxicity to the family members and it can’t be washed off because it is in the blood. 




I had a neutered male 15 month old Maltese/Poodle mix breed referred for treatment of pancreatitis.  The pet was taken to another practice for evaluation of vomiting and malaise of several days duration.  The liver enzymes were elevated and he had a strong positive reaction to the pancreatic snap test.  He received and IV of Normosol, cerenia injections, Torbutrol injections and an X-Ray shoed signs of pancreatic inflammation.  That clinic wanted to refer him to an emergency clinic where the plan was to keep him strongly sedated and be on IV’s for 24 hours.  The owners really didn’t want to do that.  On exam, he weighed 9.7# and had a temperature of 99.2 degrees F.  He had a capped IV catheter in a cephalic vein.  He was slightly overhydrated, had no intestinal pain, and was very quiet-he is normally very hyper and moving all the time.  I said I would refer them to the emergency clinic if they wanted traditional western veterinary therapy.  The owners declined.  Therefore, I said I would be happy to use an alternative approach.  I did a treatment of photonic therapy and halfway through the treatment, the dog plopped down on his belly onto the exam table and gave a big sigh.  It wasn’t like he was hurting, it was more like I had relieved a lot of pain.  He was very relaxed on the table with his back legs spread to the side of his body.  His eyes were closed and he kept licking his lips.  I generally interpret this as a state of being “narcotized” with endogenous endorphins and encephalins.  I also gave a penicillin injection and 1cc of my cellular hydration formula.  The pet had received some SQ fluids over the withers and it wasn’t stopping bleeding, so the owner applied super glue to stop it.  At this time I was concerned about a large tissue slough.  I hospitalized him and checked him at 10:30PM.  There was no vomit, urine, or stool in the cage and he was relaxed on his towel with no abdominal pain.  The next morning he had urinated a dark urine in his cage and still had no abdominal pain.  He was much more alert as he ran when put on the floor.  He also fussed a lot when I gave him another penicillin injection and when I peeled the dried super glue off.   The skin lesions weren’t as severe as I had feared, so I don’t think there will be a skin slough.  I called the owners a couple of hours after he went home and he ate some chicken and rice with a lot of gusto and then was sleeping on the couch.  The owner said he threw up once soon after arriving home, but it may have been a sensitive stomach and a slight amount of car sickness.  I anticipate a full and uneventful recovery.  This is the third time the pet has had a bout similar to this.  It seems to be triggered by a fatty meal.  He got sick a day after a birthday party where he was running around unattended during a birthday party with a lot of food and a lot of people present.  Long term, I am recommending a grain free/novel protein diet and not fatty meals/treats at all.  If he does have a repeat bout, I am recommending an immediate treatment of photonic therapy.  The owners are very please with his treatment.




I saw a 3 year old intact male pit bull that had a history of extreme itching.  He had demodex as a puppy and has recovered from that.  However, the caudal 1/3 of his body has several alopecic and excoriated areas.  He also chews his feet every day of the year.  He had been treated with Frontline to treat a flea infestation and had been assured they were not a problem anymore.  He was also taking Atopica to stop the itching and chewing and despite the expense, he was not experiencing any relief.  The owner wanted a second opinion and it was obvious the pet was taking some flea bites and as I’ve learned from boarded specialists, the itching will not stop until the fleas are limited to one bite.  With Comfortis, the fleas take one bite and die.  With topical medications, the fleas bite many times before they die.  I am testing his iodine levels and he may require a grain free/novel protein diet, a pro biotic, molecular minerals, and omega 3 fatty acids, as well as Comfortis for flea control.  This is a very representative case I see as a second or third opinion. This illustrates the importance of the principles in my article “Dr. Wood’s Allergy Strategies”.




I saw two 10 week puppies that were starting their third day of being sick with parvo.  The owner said she had given 1 vaccination 10 days prior.  The puppies weighed 2.5# and 2.8# and were exhibiting all the classic signs of parvo i.e. vomiting, diarrhea, and extreme lethargy.  Money was an extreme issue.  In the past the owner had let puppies dies because she could not afford a $1000 deposit per puppy as well as the rest of the anticipated charges.  The first day, the puppies received penicillin, dexamethasone, reglan, and Normosol injections.  They also received 1cc of Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula.  I checked the pups at 9:30PM that evening and the diarrhea had finally stopped and the pups were drinking water.  The next morning, the puppies weighed 2.5# and 2.9# respectively.  They were recovered and went home later in the day with a pro biotic, an antibiotic, and more minerals.  I only gave 20cc of fluids the day before and this illustrates the ability of the minerals to hydrate cells and stop diarrhea.




I saw a 10 year old spayed female Border Collie for congestive heart failure.  She was coughing, had exercise intolerance, pulmonary edema, and ascites.  The owner initially agreed to treatment with furosemide only.  One 25 mg dose caused her to “go out of her head”.  The owners called and I didn’t have an explanation and asked them to give another dose.  Again, she went “out of her head”.  I finally realized the non-potassium sparing diuretic was causing a significant fluid and electrolyte shift, one significant enough to cause cerebral edema.  Therefore, I stopped the diuretic and had the owners start treating with Vetmedin, but she was not responding to treatment at all and required euthanasia.  That is the first time I saw such a reaction with furosemide that I remember.  I realize she was really sick, but similar situations must occur on pets not so sick, which would make treatment with Dr. Wood’s Cellular Hydration Formula and/or a potassium sparing diuretic a first line treatment.




I think I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, but I had another interesting case where a dog was having extreme skin allergies and the owner got multiple red papules on their skin whenever they touched their dog’s skin.  However, when molecular iodine therapy was instituted, the dog stopped scratching and the owner’s skin no longer broke out when she touched her dog’s skin. 




I saw an intact female 4 year old Great Dane for chronic skin problems.  She had scraped positive for demodex on several occasions. According to the owner, she had been on high level ivermectin treatment for it for months, without results.  She was on benadryl, bactine, daily foot soaks, rimadyl, fluconazole, antibiotic/steroid ear ointment, and high doses of primor.  She weighed 100.5# and her feet were swollen 4-5 times normal, alopecic, raw and bleeding.  She was in obvious discomfort.  I put tincture of iodine in her ear and it disappeared in just a few minutes.  To treat her, I put her on Cephalexin capsules, Bac-Pac +, Dr. Wood’s Mineral Formula, omega 3 fatty acids, a grain free/novel protein diet, and a Preventic Collar-1 per month for 3 months.  This was all new to the owner but she was willing to give it a try.  On 7-26-10, 1 week later, the owner brought her by for a quick re-check.  The swelling was all the way gone, there was no more bleeding, and the hair was starting to grow back.  The owner was extremely pleased.




When I talk to clients about cellular hydration, I try to make it as simple as possible.  I ask them if they know how jerky and mummies are made.  I tell them they are packed in salt because the salt draws water out of the muscle tissue.  The idea behind cellular hydration is the idea we put minerals into the cell and water follows the minerals inside the cell.  Muscle cells are dehydrated in the first instance and hydrated in the second instance.  I was watching a cooking show last weekend and it was showing how to prepare steak tartare.  The interesting instruction was not to salt the tartare until just before service.  The chef warned if salted too soon it would dry the meat making for a messy plate of juice and dry, unpalatable meat.  I find it fascinating chefs understand how dehydrating salt it, and many in the sport and health industry don’t.




Joy is a 3 year old spayed female Chihuahua.  She came to me because she had been diagnosed with a “brain infection” due to an elevated white count and a history of not acting herself.  A stroke was considered as a rule out.  She had a history of eating dirt, but no significance was attached to that bit of history.  On exam, she weighed 5.9# and had a rectal temperature of 102.3 degrees F.  She is acting “out of it”, and the owner reports she isn’t as bad as she was a couple of days ago.  I diagnosed a stroke and placed her on a copper replacement (Lixotinic).  Just a few days later the owner called and said she was 97% back to normal.  She was extremely pleased and now told my receptionist she knew and was prepared for me telling her Joy would have to be euthanized.  Obviously, she was extremely thrilled I could properly diagnose and treat her condition, which was a simple mineral deficiency. 




Cece is a 7 ½ year old spayed female Chihuahua/poodle.  On 8-30-10 she was hit by a car.  She wasn’t actually run over, but she was “grabbed” by a tire and slammed onto the roadway.  She went to an emergency clinic for treatment.  Cece was given narcotic pain relievers and NSAID’s for pain also.  The owner wanted to observe her at home and she declined bloodwork and X-Rays.  The next day, she was much sicker.  She was having severe epistaxis, bloody urine, extreme disorientation, significant anisocoria, no pupullary reflexes, no appetite, no urination or defecation, as well as almost non-stop vomiting.  She returned to the emergency clinic and was given an anti-emetic injection, told to stop the NSAID due to the induced bleeding, and told to see her regular vet.  On exam, she weighed 4.9# and had a temperature of 99.2 degrees F.  She was acting “out of it” and vomited on the receptionist’s desk as well as the exam table.  Her pupils were 1mm and 7mm and unresponsive to light.  I diagnosed her with a significant concussion and treated her with photonic therapy, Lixotinic (copper to strengthen blood vessels and prevent more bleeding in the brain and spinal cord), and cellular hydration formula to help restore opdtimal electrolyte and fluid levels in the brain and spinal cord.  I felt if I could reduce the swelling and bleeding in the brain I would be able restore Cece’s health.  I called later in the day and there had been a few more episodes of vomiting, so I told the owner to carry on and I would contact her in the morning.  The next day, I called and the owner told me there hadn’t been any more vomiting since the previous evening and she would eat a little if hand fed.  About 6 PM the same day, the owner called and said Cece was eating on her own, walking well, urinating and defecating normally, grooming herself, and even felt well enough to bark at the neighbor.  The owner was extremely pleased with her progress.  I think this case highlight the advantages of multi-modal therapy, especially the value of photonic therapy and mineral therapy.  I don’t believe the pet would have survived if it hadn’t had this treatment.  I still am wondering why an NSAID was used with a pet with an obvious concussion. 




Copyright ©2016 All Rights Reserved

Contact Webmaster